Friday, June 29, 2018

Setting up the New Spot

We've used a Spot Satellite Messenger for years since our first major sea kayaking trip in Glacier Bay, Alaska. I updated to a Spot Gen3 to get the smallest, lightest weight device and set it up tonight. Spot also has Spot X, which allows you to text, but I didn't really think that was necessary. It kind of defeats the purpose of the solidarity of the experience! As long as I can relay that I am safe and send a help message if I need it, the Spot Gen3 will do just fine.

First, I set up a new profile in my Spot account. The last one we used was for both me and my husband and the emergency contacts were outdated. I included four of my friends on the OK messages, and my husband and a friend on the emergency contact.

Then it was time to activate the new device. I chose the basic package plus extreme tracking. Extreme tracking detects any movement (I set it for after 30 minutes of non-movement), rather than me having to turn Spot tracking on. I chose this as an extreme safety measure; if an animal drags me away in the night and I am not able to turn on tracking, at least someone will be able to find me. This does mean I have to sleep with the Spot somehow attached to me.

Next, I had to download firmware and install it onto the Spot. During set up, I had to decide what interval I wanted to be tracked at. (I could, of course, change the interval later and refresh my device.) I found a good chart from Spot detailing the battery life depending on the Spot mode being used. I felt comfortable at selecting 10-minute tracking. When the sky is obstructed 50% or more, it causes significant drain on the battery, and since I will experience heavily forested areas and open spaces, I figured 10 minutes was safe. I will not be bringing extra batteries!

The final step was to set up a share page. This provides a link to my tracking and allows me to choose what I want it to show, and whether or not I want it to be public or private. I chose private and to share OK messages and tracking. I am reserving the help and SOS messages, as well as movement alerts for my emergency contacts. I then was able to choose a password to provide my friends, and then customize an email message that they would then receive. I had a little trouble getting Spot to recognize their emails as valid. I backed out of the page and tried again, and then it worked.

I sent my friends an email asking them to confirm that they had received the Spot share invite. So far one person confirmed, so I think it worked! My husband also received his.

Overall, the set up was pretty easy but it did take a while. In order to deactivate the subscription for the Spot Gen2, which expires at the end of July, I have to call customer service. I plan to take the Spot along on the July 7th 26-mile run. It will be a good test and give my friends an idea of what they'll see during my fastpack. None of them have experience with Spot, so it will be good for them to know what to expect.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...