Monday, June 25, 2018

Making Arrangements for Cascade Pass to Stehekin

I count myself lucky for the friends in my life. Though few, the ones I have would do anything for me, and it feels good to have that support.

One friend will run over Cougar Mountain with me on my birthday just to keep me company, even though trail running is not her thing. Another (runner) friend offers encouragement and understanding of the goals I have set for myself. Her husband gives his trail wisdom, both of them having done Section J of the PCT. And now two friends have agreed to help me with the Cascade Pass to Stehekin training run!

Friends Dana and Jill have a beautiful house and boat on Lake Chelan. On the day of my Cascade Pass to Stehekin training run (training for a fastpack of Section J on the PCT), they will be awaiting my husband's arrival after he drops me off in Marblemount. Then, they'll get into their fast boat to make the one-hour trip to Stehekin to pick me up. They'll have food and a beer waiting for me, not to mention hugs. They've graciously offered me not only a shower afterward, but also for us to stay the night with them.

Wisely, Dana suggested we figure out a plan for communication and what to do if the weather makes the lake choppy. If the weather cooperates, they will most likely have to wait for me to arrive, but if the wind and waves slow their speed, I may have to wait for them. This means I have to bring along a change of clothes and some food. I can always get food and water at the store there, but I will pack extra food just in case. There is no cell phone reception there, so I will just go to the meeting place we predetermine. Hopefully, they and my husband will already be there, but if not, I'll stay put until they arrive.

Since I will be running in an isolated area, I will take my Spot Satellite Messenger with me. This will allow me to send OK messages, as well as help and 911 messages with GPS coordinates. I will have the tracking feature as well, so they can follow my progress while they still have cell reception.

We have used a Spot many times for kayaking. It is a great way to let people track you, know you're OK, or signal for help if you need it. Spot also has the Spot X, which allows you to send texts essentially. I opted for the less expensive (but still costly) Spot Gen 3. 

It's good to have this plan, and barring forest fires and bad weather, all should go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...