Sunday, October 7, 2018

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running schedule of 30 to 36 miles a week has brought me a new perspective of my training for the near 75-mile run.

What I have found is that my pace on my everyday six to ten mile runs is much improved. Every day feels like a great run. I feel fresh and light. I can push my pace. I can do strides. I am shaving six minutes off my 10K time with a moderate effort. And I know that I never felt like that in the last three months of training. I never felt light, I never felt like I had a great run. I was always, always tired.

What does it mean that I was always tired? On the one hand, I may have over trained, and I am simply lucky that I didn't end up injured. On the other hand, had I not run the mileage that I did, I may not have been able to handle running 46 miles one day, and nearly 29 the next. As in, I had to adjust to being able to run when very, very tired.

I do think that my pack was a little too heavy. My pack itself, an Ultimate Direction Fastpack 20, was too heavy. I also could have left my sleeping bag behind. I probably could have carried a smaller quantity of water at any given time, but since I lost my water stop list, I didn't want to risk running out of water. My goal was seven pounds without water, and I ended up at almost nine. It was just too heavy for me.

How would I do things differently? I would probably cross train on one or two of the shorter run days. I have to face the fact that I am not so young anymore (I'm approaching 49), and I can't do what other elite 49-year-old blogging runners can do. While a 50-miles a week average for the year is good for some, for me something more like 30 to 40 miles a week average for the year may be better.

Regardless, I have enjoyed the fall hiking with my husband. We've done three hikes three weekends in a row. The pace is enjoyable and the hikes have been challenging. I feel strong and fresh when I hike. It's a good feeling.

Larch near their peak of color adorn the basin a mile from the summit of Carne Mountain near Stevens Pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...