Thursday, August 16, 2018

What's in My Pack for the PCT

As I anxiously watch the air quality index, I figure it's time to get my pack ready in case I decide to go right away on my two-day run southbound on Section J of the PCT. We have had smoke in the Seattle area from forest fires in BC, Canada, and in eastern Washington, and the air quality index was 179 yesterday, classified as "unhealthy for everyone." Yikes. I may decide last minute to go the next day, and I want my pack ready.

Here's what's in my pack:

Note: I changed out #20 for a taller, narrower bottle (same brand). It fits in my front vest pocket better, is still 17 oz., and has a wider mouth so it will be easier to put Perpetuem in it.
1. Montbell down jacket (for sleeping)
2. Ibex Woolies 3 pants (for sleeping)
3. Bug netting sewed to a headband
4. Sleeve Stars ankle compression sleeve (in case I twist an ankle)
5. North Face Better Than Naked tank top (for changing into to wear under my jacket)
6. Ultimate Direction Fastpack 20
7. Z-Packs down hood (for sleeping)
8. Reflectix (sleeping mat with an R-value of 9)
9. My "tivy" (tent-bivy that I sewed myself with Dyneema waterproof, breathable fabric)
10. Titanium tent stakes (3)
11. DHEA, probiotic, 3 mg time-released melatonin, 15 SPF lip balm, duct tape
12. Trail notes (junctions, water stops, maps of junctions)
13. First aid kit, hydration salts
14. Paper towels and baggie (for pottying)
15. Black Diamond Z-Pole
16. Bear spray
17. Petzl e+LITE headlamp
18. GoPro Session 5
19. Spot Gen3 satellite messenger
20. HydraPak Stow Water Bottle 17 oz (for mixing Perpetuem and Tailwind Recovery in)
21. Katadyn BeFree 20 oz water filter/bottle
22. Ultimate Direction 50-oz bladder
23. Hammer Perpetuem, 6 scoops per bag (2 bags plus one also inside #24)
24. Toaks Titanium 450 ml Cup, Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove w/ 1 oz alcohol, 6 waterproof matches, nylon cord to hang my food in my pack at night, and Perpetuem inside
25. Tailwind Endurance Fuel (2 bags for 40 oz. and one for 32 oz.)
26. Vega Sport Energizer (for morning of day 2)
27. Tailwind Recovery drink (single serving for end of first day)
28. Vegan trail food: Backpacker's Pantry Spaghetti and Sauce, Louisville Vegan Jerky, Good-To-Go Herbed Mushroom Risotto; GSI Outdoors Essential Spoon
29. Z-Packs 30 down bag and waterproof stuff sack

And here's my pack, fully-loaded:

My pack weighs 8 pounds, 13 ounces without water. My goal was to have it under 8 pounds, and originally, it was 7. But adding things like a first aid kit, lip balm, an extra bag of fuel, and a slightly longer sleeping mat all ads up!

Here's what I'll be wearing for the fastpack:



1. Garmin Fenix 5X and Garmin Forerunner 25 (using Fenix for map both days and distance the second day, and the Forerunner for distance part of the first day)
2. Merrill Agility Peak trail shoes
3. Blue Steel Anti-Chafe Cream
4. Feetures cushioned socks
5. Prescription sun glasses
6. Moving Comfort Crossback Sports Bra
7. Moving Comfort underwear
8. Buff hat
9. Halo headband (has a channel to move sweat to the sides, keeping it out of your eyes)
10. Athleta Sunlover UPF Tulip Back Long Sleeve Top
11. R-Gear Recharge Compression Printed 8" Shorts

In the car for when I finish the fastpack, I will also have supplies. It will include
  • Tailwind Recovery drink
  • Water w/ Vega Hydration Electrolytes
  • Sandwich
  • Wipes (to clean up)
  • Change of clothes
  • Teva sandals
  • Best of all, John (my husband)
The countdown is on and I am getting excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...