Saturday, January 27, 2018

PCT Section J Stevens to Snoqualmie Water and Campsite Plans

Using the link to maps referenced in my previous post, I determined where I will mostly likely stop for water, to make and eat dinner, and to camp. There are stretches where water is plentiful, and then there are sections where water is not, likely due to climbing to high elevation.

My goal is to replenish my water at around every 15-20 miles. I want to make dinner a couple of miles before I eat it (boil water, pour it in, and keep going), and camp at least five miles after my dinner spot. I'd like to get to mile 50 to camp so that I only have 21 miles to go the second day. I can walk 20 miles if I am too tired and sore to run the second day.

Here's the plan:

Mile 14: creek; top off water
Mile 19: Deception Creek; refill bladder
several streams between here and the next stop
Mile 22: last water until mile 29 (also water at miles 33, 34, 35, 36)
Mile 36: Waptus River; refill bladder, can camp here if necessary; 3015 ft
Mile 37: last water until mile 48
Mile 41: potential campsite, but 5255 ft; possibly make dinner
Mile 45: eat dinner
Mile 48: stream
Mile 49: large creek; campsite 3241 ft
Mile 50: Lemah Creek; refill bladder, preferred campsite 3198 ft
Mile 52: Delate Creek; last water until mile 67
Mile 67: stream; replenish water as needed
Mile 68: stream; replenish water as needed

Bolded miles are planned stops

Next up, I'll study the trail junctions and find out from two friends to see if they had any difficulty knowing which way to go at junctions.

~LTR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...