Sunday, January 28, 2018

Hours of Daylight

It occured to me this morning that I may not have enough hours of daylight to get to my campsite at 50 miles. I looked at Willy Weather (https://sunrisesunset.willyweather.com/wa/kittitas-county/snoqualmie-pass.html) for Snoqualmie Pass. The website tells the sunrise and sunset, plus first and last light. It only goes out to March 1 right now, but it looks like a half an hour on either end of the sun's journey. The website does give the sunrise and sunset times for August, 6:04 and 8:15, which is 14 hours 11 minutes of daylight. Adding in the light before and after, I figure I'll have about 15 1/2 hours of daylight.

I will have to start in the dark. With planned stops for rest, boiling water, eating dinner, and setting up camp, I am not sure what to expect. I will likely start at 5:00 and run the first half an hour with a headlamp. That will give me a little buffer. It's an hour and fifteen minutes to Steven's Pass from home, so it will be an early rise at 3:15.

I looked up a random 50 miler in Colorado (lots of elevation gain and altitude there) on Ultra SignUp to see the time of the slowest person running the race. She is 50 years old (I am 48), and she ran it in 13:38. I looked at her other race times, and she is similar to me in pace if not a little bit slower. It looks like I will be fine, but I would still prefer a buffer so I am not racing the sun. A 5:00 am start it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...