Saturday, May 26, 2018

Running with Trekking Poles

Today was my first time running with trekking poles. I have two reasons to run with them on my PCT Section J fastpack: one is because one pole is needed to prop up my bivy, and the other reason is that using poles can help mitigate the fatigue to your legs. I looked online to find some technique tips, and with a few things in my mind, I started out this morning on Squak Mountain.

The first half mile was pretty ridiculous. I had no idea how to use the poles and found myself tripping over them, especially on my left side. The only thing I really knew going in was to use them to help propel me up steep inclines, alternating single poles, and to do a double-pole plant to get up steep steps or over obstacles, and also to just let the poles tick lightly on the side going downhill. Before long, I found a rhythm that felt all-too familiar; it was just like being on an elliptical when I was using the poles going uphill. I just knew when it felt right. I don't know if my technique was, in fact, correct, but it sure felt good. I felt like I just charged up Margaret's Way.

As the use of the poles became more intuitive, I found that I knew without looking how to orient them in the right direction in my hands when I transitioned from carrying them both in my right hand while running flat or nearly flat sections of trail to a hill. I also found myself double-planting them when I first put them back into use after carrying them as if to orient myself to them, and then I began alternating them. It was very comfortable.

The poles I am using, Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z Trekking Poles, have a couple of nice features, besides being 10 ounces a pair. When you pull up on the grip and down on the shaft, they lock into place (when they are otherwise collapsed into three sections like a tent pole). They also have an extended grip area that goes down the shaft a bit so that when you are going uphill, you can shift your grip down the pole a bit. I found this particularly useful because overall, I think the poles are too tall for me. They are 120 cm, and I am 5'7". My hands were on the lower part of the shaft grip for my entire run. Because of this, I decided to give my poles to my husband, who is 5'10" and I ordered a pair of 110 cm poles for myself. I found them on sale at Backcountry.com.

I removed the hand loops, as I read that they just get in the way and I agree. It also makes them lighter, which is a bonus. When you're hiking the hand loops can be used to support you going downhill, but not so much when you're running. You want to avoid "braking" downhill as much as possible,

Overall, the pros of running with the poles were that I felt like it helped propel my run up the hill without fatiguing my quads and my calves as much. I also found them useful when going downhill on rocky terrain, as they helped give me stability. They were also a great confidence boost for log crossings over mud and steam crossing on slippery rocks.

As for the cons, there are some serious considerations. They are not enough to deter me yet, as I did order some in a shorter size so I obviously want to keep trying with them, but they are worth mentioning. At the very least, I found them cumbersome going downhill when the trail was fairly narrow, as they caught in the brush on the side of the trail. More importantly, I didn't like not having the use of my hands. While using the poles. I couldn't look at my watch to see my time, the course, my distance, or anything else I wanted to know, so I had a hard time keeping up with my hydration and fueling. I also found it difficult to drink and eat a gel, as I need one or both hands for this. If I happened to be running on a section of trail that was not steep and I was holding the poles in my right hand, it wasn't as much of an issue, but when I needed them to go up or downhill, they were definitely an impediment. I am sure part of my issue was that I was focusing so much on using them that I couldn't keep track of anything else. As I become more comfortable using them, I should be able to keep better track of my hydration and fueling.

When I got home, I uploaded my run to Garmin Express and compared my ascent of Margaret's Way with poles to a previous run without poles. I was dismayed to find that I was slower with the poles than without, but then again, I struggled with them at the start. I plan to use them again next weekend on an Issaquah Alps Westbound trek, and I will compare my time to the previous run. I hope to see an overall improvement in time, endurance and lack of soreness.

On another note, I was perusing Backcountry's running items when I was placing the order for the shorter poles, and I happened across a new-to-me running fuel: Trailwind Endurance Fuel. It has protein, carbs, and electrolytes, and it's VEGAN! Yeah! They also have a caffeinated version. I ordered both. I can't wait to try them out. Their promotional information says that you don't need gels or anything else to fuel your runs. It is not sweet and is supposed to be easy on the GI tract, and it gets five out of five stars for five reviews. If I like it, I'll write them and offer to be their ambassador! (If only!)

Pole updates: second run, third run near end of post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...