Saturday, February 24, 2018

Energy Gel Comparison

In my quest to find the best gel options for long trail runs, I did a comparison of the things I have liked and have been using. My preferred gel used to be Accel Gel and 2nd Surge, but since becoming vegan, I have been looking for something to replace them. Both gels, made by Pacific Health Labs, contain milk, and consequently, protein.

I have always liked to use one or two caffeinated gels on long training runs, and three during 50Ks. However, most gels don't contain protein, and without it, I found that I didn't tolerate the caffeine as well. I would remain dizzy and light-headed for the rest of the day. Using some protein after the caffeinated gel seemed to be the trick for me. I have finally taken the time to compare the calorie, carb, and protein content of the various options I have been using.

Today, I tried a combination of Clif Shot Double Expresso and Perpetuem, alternating between the two. It was a 3:40 run, so I used two Clif Shots and two servings of Expresso every 40 minutes, respectively, with the last 20 minutes going without. I am a little light-headed but not too bad. I probably should have only used one Clif Shot with caffeine. For some reason, I thought 2nd Surge had 200 mg of caffeine, which is why I used two Clif Shots with caffeine. Oops. Next time, I will only have one with caffeine and see if I get better results.

~LTR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...