Sunday, December 31, 2017

Fastpack Gear

One of the funnest parts about planning for the fastpack, besides the training, is figuring out what gear I am going to use. My goal is to have my pack be under seven pounds without water. I have to consider the following:

  • Running pack/vest
  • Food
  • Water vs. water filter, hydration pack
  • Clothes to sleep in
  • Sleeping bag
  • Tent or bivy
  • Sleeping mat
  • Headlamp
  • Spot/emergency contact

For the pack, I was hoping to go with a women's specific running vest, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough room. I love my UltraVesta from Ultimate Direction, so I ordered the Aventure Vesta, also a women's specific running vest. It didn't look like it was going to have room for the gear, so I also ordered a 20L fastpack from Ultimate Direction, which was on clearance at the time for only $79.95. You can only get the 15 or 25L Fastpack now (https://ultimatedirection.com/fastpack-25/). I didn't get any perks for suggesting Ultimate Direction or any other brand I mention. I just like their running packs because they don't move at all, are well designed, and fit well.

The two packs arrived, but before I could decide which one I was going to keep, I had to order the rest of the things I was going to pack. I ordered three freeze dried meals, a collapsible water bottle with a built in filter, Ibex Woolies 3 pants and hoodie, two different options for a sleeping mat, and an ultra light sleeping bag. Once I had assembled all my gear, I tried out the two different packs; I sent the Aventure Vesta back. It turns out that, though light, most of my gear is really fluffy! The 20L Fastpack weighs in at 18 oz.



For the freeze dried food, I ordered three different vegan meals. Since I don't want to carry a stove or fuel, my plan is to hydrate the food with cold water. I think if I let it soak long enough, it will be edible. I don't care about having hot food. I plan to test out each of the three meals and see which one hydrates the best. I will probably pack two of them on the actual fastpack. Two food packages weigh 8 oz. total.

Normally, I use a lot of energy gels, but they are actually relatively heavy, so I am only planning to pack two caffeinated. My favorite is Accel Gel and Second Surge, both made by Pacific Health Labs, because they taste good and have protein, but since becoming a vegan, I have been trying out new ones. So far, I am happy with Clif gels, but they don't have protein. I have tried Luma, which basically tastes like jam. They are made from chia seeds. I get protein from them, but they seem to give me heartburn. I will probably resort to Hammer Perpetuem designed for all-day endurance as a liquid meal. Two gels weigh 2 5/8 oz, and six Perpetuem servings (one in a mixing bottle) weigh 4 5/8 oz. I'll also need five servings of Vega electrolytes, which are 1 oz. total.



I am going to need to refill my water bottle and bladder several times on the fastpack. I have a LifeStraw, but I couldn't figure out a way to use that with the bladder. Instead, I decided on Katadyn Be Free Water Filtration System, which I ordered from Amazon. I plan to fill it at a stream, and then squirt the contents into my bladder. The 50 liter bladder I'll use is also from Ultimate Direction. I've had a 70 liter one for years, and it has never leaked. I will only put 30 oz in the bladder to start. Water weight is just too heavy and I can always refill. Empty, the bottle and bladder weigh 4 oz.

Ibex Woolies 3 was my hands-down choice for night-time clothing. Sadly, Ibex just closed shop, so getting their clothes in the future will be next to impossible. Most of the gear is merino wool. but their Woolies 3 is a wool blend. I used it at Cascade Pass this fall, when I had run up, sweated my shirt wet, and then had lunch; resting combined with wind makes for a chilly recipe, but my Woolies 3 cut the wind beautifully. I got the pants (not running tights) and a hoodie. They weigh 18 oz. total.

I already had a Thermarest for backpacking, but it's just too heavy at 10.5 oz. I scoured other blogs and internet articles and settled on Gossamer Gear, a closed foam option. I still haven't decided on whether I'll take the mat or the sitting pad. The SitLight Camp Seat, weighing in at 2 3/8 oz, is a little bit short, and the Nighlight Sleeping Pad at 6 oz is too big for my pack even trifolded. I will probably have to use the sitting pad.



For the sleeping bag, I went with a ZPacks classic sleeping bag, rated for 35 degrees. They're not cheap, but they are warm, pack down small, and are incredibly light. They come with a waterproof stuff sack.The bag is 14.6 oz. I also decided to make a bivy/makeshift tent of my own from ZPacks material. I will follow up later with a detailed post when I actually make it.The weight should be 4 oz.

I'll also have to pack my headlamp (1 oz.) and I plan to buy a new Spot Satellite Messenger (4 oz. with lithium batteries). I think I am also bringing one titanium running pole at 4 7/8 oz.

The tiny Petzl E-lite has a whistle on the head strap and a carrying case. Ill leave the case behind.


Everything sounds really light, but it all adds up! Right now, I am under 5 pounds without the pole and without water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...