Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Final Preparations

I am officially in my two and a half-week taper to the Cascade Pass-Stehekin run! It's time to start taking care of the things I've been putting aside for now. Here are the things I need to do before August 1:
  • Schedule a chiropractor appointment and massage appointment the Friday before the run for last-minute tune-ups. (Done!)
  • Adjust my training plan. I have a 17-mile run down for Saturday after two weekends in a row with 38 miles and I am not sure why. And should I continue to train up to Cascade Pass-Stehekin run and then taper? Or taper now? (Done! I decided to continue to train right up to Cascade Pass-Stehekin. Because I have chosen mid-week for both big runs, I have to shift my training to running long mid-week instead of weekend. Thus, this weekend's easy runs became the mid-week build up of a hard week. I ran 10 miles Saturday, six today, and will run four tomorrow. Tuesday will be a rest day, and then Wednesday, I plan to run 15 miles north from Snoqualmie Pass and back.)
  • Prepare bags of Tailwind and Perpetuem for the long run.
  • Practice using the water filter bottle and squirting it into my bladder.
  • Plan the food and clothing to take with me for the run. 
  • Prep a small first aid kit for my vest.
  • Treat running clothes with Permethrin (bug stuff).
  • Sew bug netting scraps to my running hat.
  • Practice with John's GoPro Hero.
  • Test the Spot. Again.
  • Check in with Dana and Jill, my Stehekin to Chelan support!
Between now and the PCT Fastpack:
  • Use alcohol stove to determine how much fuel it takes to boil the water needed for my freeze-dried meal. Add additional fuel for boiling time at a higher elevation. (Done. It took nine and a half minutes for the water to reach a slight boil; I let it go for 12 minutes. One ounce of fuel will burn for 16 minutes. I figure I'll need one ounce for each meal.)
  • Make a windshield for my stove with a Fosters larger beer can. 
  • Stealth camp with John to try out my tivy. (Maybe Wednesday on the PCT, where I won't have to stealth camp?)
  • Find a place to stay as close to Steven's Pass for the 20th. (Found a place on Airbnb in Skykomish about 15 minutes from the pass. I haven't booked it yet, as they have a cancellation policy that doesn't favor sudden changes in weather. I'll wait until a day or two before to book it. It didn't look super popular, and I did have a second choice that was 25 minutes from the pass.)
  • Prepare bags of Tailwind and Perpetuem.
  • Study the map. Know by heart the tricky junctions, camp site location, and water fill ups. Check in with Kem about campsites.
  • Add more items to this list as I think of them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...