Monday, May 7, 2018

Issaquah Alps Westbound Trail Run

I was finally successful with my Garmin Fenix 5X! I used it to navigate some unfamiliar trails southwest of Tiger Mountain's peak and also make my way on Squak and Cougar in the opposite direction I am used to. I noticed that it also gives me an ETA, and it was pretty accurate. In the beginning, it said 1:45, and then later 2:30 and 2:10 as my steep climbs, flat, and downhill running evened out; I ended up finishing at 2:00. Obviously, the longer I was out, the more accurate it got. Overall, I find the watch easy to use...now that I know how to use it. Getting there was challenging, though!

Speaking of challenges, my run was probably the hardest effort I have ever put forth. It was 22.3 miles with 6,900+ feet of elevation gain. Starting with Tiger and finishing with Cougar meant slightly more elevation gain than loss. I loved the Tiger Mountain part of the run. I went on a trail I had never been on before after the peak of West Tiger 3, and it was quiet, rolling, and soft. I did see nine other trail runners along this portion of the route, so it must be popular with trail runners. They were all running in the opposite direction, which made me wonder briefly about their routes. The trail dropped me down to Poo Poo Point for a quad-punishing descent to Hobart Road.

I fasten my vest and get ready to start at the base of Tiger Mountain. My husband likes to take a picture of me at the start just in case something happens to me. This way, he knows what I am wearing in case he has to described it to authorities.
I am happy with my accomplishment of descending to Poo Poo Point. It was a beautiful day for a trail run!
Climbing Squak from the east side is definitely steeper than climbing from the west. The East Ridge Trail was full off sharply slanted switchbacks I thought would never end. Fortunately, my watch tells me how far I am from my next turn, so I knew it would eventually come to an end, and in just how far. I had to power hike (fast hiking pushing on my knees to go faster) more than half of it. Once I got to the East Side Trail, it was completely runnable--rolling ups and downs and quite pleasant. I knew I had some solid descent and climbing ahead of me before I got to make my main descent down to SR 900. I dropped down quite a bit on the Bullit Fireplace Trail only to climb back up on the Chybinski Loop. I was relieved to finally get to Margaret's Way, which is fairly gentle until the last pitch downward.

One more mountain to go, and the shortest stretch. I knew the climb from the east was steep, but I was surprised at how much I was still able to run. Lots of power hiking up steep switchbacks and step-ups were a sign that my legs were simply dead; my quads hurt, but I just kept pushing onward. My mantra for the day was Jillian Michael's "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable!" and I thought that many times on Cougar. I knew once I got to Shy Bear I was home free. The descent on the Quarry Trail was at times painful, but I plodded on and took it easy so I didn't trip. I was so happy to see my car!

Afterward, I forced myself to eat half a banana and a Clif Bar, and to drink my recovery drink from Pacific Health Labs. It's weird, but food just isn't appetizing after that much running. The last time I had eaten was at 4:00 am. My run, which I started a little late at 7:50, took six hours, 10 minutes. I used gels and an Endurox slurry, along with a Clif carb/electrolyte powder added to my water along the way. I finally ate solid food at 2:00.

I didn't take an ice bath when I got home this time. I am always cold when I finish a run like this, despite the 70 degree afternoon, and I just couldn't bare the thought of getting into cold water. I took a hot shower instead and it relaxed my tired muscles. I ended the evening with a soak in the hottub.

I slept HARD. Sunday morning, I had a six mile run to do, and I thought it would be awful, but I surprised myself. I had a great run. My legs were tired and burned with lactic acid, but they weren't that heavy. After a slow first mile, I managed a 9:43 mile with hills on the Tolt Pipeline. I finished with a trip down and back up 'the big hill' with a mile time of 12:01. That's better than I usually do. Huh.

Today, it was tough to get up before 6:00 for work, and I sleepily struggled through my core routine. Somehow, I managed to do the usual exercises as well as weighted squats and dumbbell deadlifts. I shook out my legs with a nice mountain bike ride in the afternoon with my good friend Nicole. My legs burned a bit on the climb up the High School Trail, but afterward, I felt great. My soreness is ebbing (DOMS). A few minutes with the foam roller tonight should take care of any residual soreness.

Next weekend will be another 20 mile long run. It will be the first time I have ever trained with back to back hard weeks instead of alternating easy and hard weeks. I am hoping to create a route all on Tiger Mountain. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...