Saturday, April 21, 2018

Training in the Issaquah Alps: Cougar, Squak, and Tiger Mountains

What a great way to make the most of the foothills of the Cascade Mountains! My husband was worried I would get burned out from running Grand Ridge too much, so he proposed that I run up and over all three of the mountains of Issaquah.

I had a feeling the run would be epic, as so many of my ideas of what to challenge myself with next have actually come from him (running ultras, the Kendall Katwalk, Cascade Pass to Stehekin, and Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass, to name a few). It taught me that I need to challenge myself far more than I have been when it comes to elevation gain.

My route began at the Red Hill trailhead off Lakemont Blvd. in Bellevue. From there, I took the Wildside Trail, the Indian Trail, the Quarry Trail, Shy Bear Trail, and Whitaker Wilderness Trail, all up and over to the bottom of the east side of Cougar Mountain. This portion of the run was fairly technical, about a 4. There were some rocks and some really rooty areas, as well as some steep step downs. Since it was so wet, these step downs on rocks, roots, or logs were slippery, as were the foot bridges and log crossings. It was BY FAR the easiest climb of the three mountains.

John drops me off on Lakemont Boulevard for the start of my long run in the Issaquah Alps.

Then, I took a right onto SR 900 and in under one tenth of a mile, I was at the trailhead for Squak Mountain. I took Margaret's Way up to Chybynski Loop, where I took a left and dropped down. After that, it gets a little confusing. I think I took the Eastside Trail and eventually got onto the East Ridge Trail down to the Sycamore trailhead. Squak Mountain was also technical at times, around a 4. It was pretty steep, though 100% runnable. Just when I thought Margaret's Way had leveled off, I climbed switchbacks for another mile! I give it a 6 for elevation gain.

The photo doesn't do the view justice, but it's from Margaret's Way looking toward Renton. The sun was spotlighting the town in the distance.
I saved the toughest mountain for last: Tiger. From the Sycamore neighborhood, I ran down the pavement to Hobart Road, and in just over a mile, I was at the Chirico trailhead for Poo Poo Point on Tiger Mountain. It has been a long time since I have been on this trail, and I don't know it very well. I was hoping for a gradual climb, but that's not what I got. It pretty much goes straight up! Ok, there are switchbacks, but they are steep. It's also really rocky and has a long section of rock steps. By this time, my quads were pretty tired and I was stumbling on the sharp rocks. I power hiked at least half of this climb. I think I could run it (and I will) with fresh legs. Anyway, It seemed like it was only about two miles up to Poo Poo. 

The view from Poo Poo Point. Lots of people, most of whom came up the Chirico Trail.
I took the High School Trail route back down, veering off at the bottom toward the Lake Tradition parking lot. Next time, I will go up to the top of Tiger from a junction on the Poo Poo Trail (the High School Trail route) and then take a different way down. I went pretty slowly down Poo Poo, as the trail was almost as steep going down as it was going up even though it was a little longer. My quads were shaking--I was that tired. Due to rocks and steepness, I give it a 7 for technicality and a 7 for elevation gain. I can see I have several runs in store for me on Squak and Tiger before the snow melts from the PCT.

Overall distance was 20 miles, elevation gain was 5,423 ft, elevation loss was 5,534 ft, and my highest elevation was 1,895 ft. It took me 5:36--very slow. Average mile time was 16:48. I had ten minutes of stoppage time. Once nice thing was that I had cell phone coverage the whole way, so I could text my husband for directions and my friend for inspiration.

After my run, I treated myself to a 10-minute ice bath. It helped quite a bit! To distract myself, I munched on a nice vegan deli sandwich. Tomorrow's six-mile recovery run will be interesting. The Snoqualmie Valley Trail (a flat rail trail) may be in order. We'll see how I feel.

It's a good thing my fastpack adventure is over four months away. I've a long way to go before I am ready!

The elevation profile over distance. You can pretty much see Cougar, Squak, and Tiger!

Elevation profile zoomed in view

The GPS track of my route. It doesn't play. It's just a screenshot from Garmin Express.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...