Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The End of The Great Colorado Running and Mountain Biking Trip

Friday morning, we got up early to make our way homeward. John had looked at the weather report and determined that a nasty snow storm was coming our way. We had planned to take a southern route that would take us through Fruita for a mountain biking stop, but because the snow storm would be hitting all along that route, we decided to go back the way John came. The weather that way, though Wyoming, looked only slightly better. It was a good choice! Though there was a high wind warning the entire way with lots of wind to show for it, the winter storm warning only amounted to blowing snow but nothing on the roads. Since it was so terribly cold, we just kept driving--all the way to Ogden, Utah. We spent eleven hours driving! Fridays are usually rest days for me, so I didn't mind not being able to ride.

In Ogden, we took a walk to old town and back, about five miles, just to shake out our legs. Our Airbnb was at the foothills of the Wasatch Range, so Saturday morning, I started my run right from the door! I ran a half mile up the road to a trailhead and ran for a total of ten miles on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Sounds flat, right? Nope! I gained over a thousand feet in four miles. Ouch! The trail was quite technical, too. I'd give it a seven for technicality. The terrain was a lot like what I will encounter on the PCT. I really enjoyed the views of the pink-tinged mountains that surround Ogden as the sun came up. Our Airbnb was at about 4,100 feet, and I got up to the snowline on the running trail, about 5,100 feet. I saw 19 other trail runners! I felt like I was in my element. After running for a week at elevation, 4,000 to 5,000 felt quite normal. I had a great pace of 12-plus minutes per mile average, which is good for me considering the elevation gain.

About five hours later, we were in Boise for the best ride of the trip. We rode the Central Ridge Trail and Shane's Loop. I didn't know I had it in me to climb as steeply as I did there. My cross training days up the High School Trail (where I ride briefly and hard every Monday after work) paid off! John said he had a hard time keeping up with me going down from the top. I got up to 19.2 miles per hour and I even caught some air (on purpose) on a jump--first time! So fun!John said my downhill riding (and my riding in general) has improved. I owe that to my good friend, Nicole. We decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel in downtown Boise where we walked to dinner at Bodovino.

Elevation profile over distance for the ride in Boise

We rode trails right next to downtown! Central Ridge and Shane's Loop.
Dinner at Bodovino in Boise

The final effort to get home took us through Walla Walla to say hello to my brother, who was taking some friends and colleagues on a wine-tasting tour, and then onward to Nicole's to get my car. I didn't have a chance to run Sunday, so I ran and mountain biked today (Monday). Normally, Monday is just for rides.

What a trip! I feel like it really added to my training and fitness to do so much every single day. Sleeping in my own bed last night was total satisfaction.

I'd go back to Colorado Springs in a second! What a great place to run, ride, hike, and tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...