Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Training Begins in Bellingham

With spectacular weather in store for the weekend, we decided to spend it in Bellingham (again). We got up early on Saturday, loaded up the car, and drove the hour and a half up there. I had a great run on Chuckanut Mountain, while John walked the opposite direction to downtown Bellingham on the South Bay Trail. We met afterwards at The Bellwether's Lighthouse Bar and Grill for a glass of wine and some hummus and veggies. Later, after enjoying some vegan cheese, crackers, and wine at Fairhaven's Marine Park, we headed for our Airbnb just down the road. There, we relaxed and made pizza in my new air fryer since the Airbnb didn't have an oven. Sunday was even warmer, so after my run and John's walk to and from coffee, we did a short hike to Chuckanut Falls and then spent the afternoon at the beach after having lunch at Brotha Dudes.

We have a snack at Marine Park.

John at Chuckanut Falls

Sunday afternoon at Little Squaliucm Park
My Saturday running route ended up being just a little long, but I was able to do a loop instead of an out and back, so I was happy. I started at Marine Park in Fairhaven and headed for the Interurban Trail to Arroyo Park. In Arroyo Park, I took a left on the Hemlock Trail and started to climb the base of the north east side of Chuckanut Mountain. It was gentle at first, but then it was steadily steep. After nearly six miles of primarily uphill running, I finally came across the trail to Raptor Ridge on the right.

It was beautiful up there. I hadn't seen anyone for miles until I arrived at the ridge, where a hiker was sunning herself and enjoying the solitude. We chatted briefly, and then I headed off, continuing west on the ridge trail until I encountered the North Lost Lake Trail, which I am familiar with from the Chuckanut 50K route. I trudged up North Lost Lake to South Lost Lake, and then grabbed the Fragrance Lake Trail, which dropped me back down to the Interurban Trail. Then I headed back to Arroyo Park. Below is a video of my route up until Raptor Ridge with a map at the end. I used the Session 5, which is much smoother even though I was still just holding it in my hand.


When I realized that I was going to be over the 18 miles I had planned for the day, I decided to skip the Marine Park loop and got back to my car in the most direct route I could think of. I still ended up at 19.6 miles. I felt absolutely great until about mile 15, which is good because I have been running 16 miles every other Saturday since October and have been running trails the last two months. I have been trying my best to ease into training.

Happy to be back at the car, I snap a quick picture before texting John to find out just where he was enjoying a glass of wine!
This past weekend marked the official beginning of my training and the first mileage increase in a long time. With the elevation gain of the run being over 3500 feet, it makes sense that I was spent when I neared the usual distance. I rate the loop a 4 for technicality (it really depends on the specific trail), a 6 for elevation gain, and a 1 for elevation. I managed to eek out a couple of sub ten minute miles in the last stretch of the Interurban.  In all, not bad, and probably a little more than I was ready for.

The elevation profile shows the first high point, Raptor Ridge, and then the second one at Lost Lake Trail, which is almost the top of Chuckanut Mountain.
Sunday's short run of six miles was also not too bad. I was very slow, but I did manage to pull out a sub ten minute mile or two heading back toward Fairhaven on the Interurban. I ran a few short hills and one long one, and I survived. One thing's for sure: I have a long, long way to go before running 71 miles with 17,000 feet of elevation gain!

My Garmin Fenix 5X behaved nicely this weekend. I have not put any maps on it yet (because I have to return the SD cards and purchase the download version). I also tried out John's GoPro Session 5, which was super easy to take videos with but I messed up taking a photograph. Next weekend I'll do better! I also tried out a new pair of trail shoes, Brooks Caldera. While they were comfortable, light, and springy, they just didn't fit well. I ended up with sore toes and I could feel my feet sliding around inside. My toes rammed against the toe box on even the slightest downhill. I will have to return them. I have another pair to try this week. So far, the glove-like fit of the Merrill Agility Peak, which I have been running it for around a year, seems to be the best for me. I am just trying to find another trail shoe to alternate with.

Doing Jillian was tough today. I am looking forward to an easy weekend of 10 and six (miles on Saturday and Sunday, respectively). Time for some stretching!

~LTR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...