Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Trail Running Community

One of things I enjoy about trail running is the sense of community. Even though I don't know anyone I can train with, I always feel a sense of acceptance when I see other trail runners or during races. I have always been amazed that the front runners in most races will actually tell me I'm doing a good job when they've already made it to the half-way point and have turned around to head back. You would never find that in a road marathon. The front runners won't waste their breath on encouraging you. The only time I've really encountered that attitude at a trail race was the Chuckanut 50K. The race does attract elite runners, so maybe that's why.

It's been a few years since I trained on trails, so I hope I am not seeing a new trend. It's great that trail running is growing ever more popular, but I just hope that the attitude of road runners hasn't spilled over onto the well-trodden, friendly trails. Last weekend while running in Grand Ridge, I encountered 16 mountain bikers, most of whom were courteous if not friendly. I also saw three runners. Two said hello, but one young man who was running hard up a long climb didn't even acknowledge my cheerful greeting. I couldn't help myself; I said, "Fine, don't say 'Good morning!' I guess your working too hard to spare a hello."

Hey rude guy, News flash! If Lance Armstrong can say "good work" to me when he's in first place heading back to the start in the Woodside 35K, you can say good morning. All feelings about Lance Armstrong aside, he's probably a better runner that the guy who thought he was amazing in Grand Ridge.

Keep it friendly out there on the trails. Encourage others. It means more than you may think.

~LTR


No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...