Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Meal in a Bag

In my inbox tonight was an email from Backpacking Light which contained a review of the "best backpacking meal ever." Curious, I read on and saw that it was a mushroom risotto, and not just any mushroom risotto, but the Good To-Go Herbed Mushroom Risotto that I purchased for my fastpack. They have several meals that are vegan. I purchased Mexican Quinoa Bowl and Smoked Three Bean Chili as well, and plan to order their Classic Marinara with Penne.



Reading the review was helpful--I learned that the meal is best when enhanced with a protein source (he used smoked salmon; I'll use a smoked vegan jerky) and also that Good To-Go meals never quite hydrate in the 20 minutes it's supposed to take. Most people just put them into the pot they are boiling water in and cook the meal in the pot. I won't have a pot that big, as I am just taking a titanium cup to boil water in. I guess that means I can expect my risotto to be extra el dente! I also learned that they aren't kidding when they say "two servings." I'll split the bag up into to small bags and place them back inside the pouch. The good thing about that is not only is it economical, but it also means that I don't have to take along as many meals in a bag as I thought. I was contemplating three, but now I know I can just take one and a half and only bring one pouch to cook in.

~LTR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...