Sunday, January 21, 2018

Vegan Fuel Update

Last Saturday, I ran 18 miles on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, a flat, easy run at a gentle pace. I took four different fuel options with me. I use gels about every 4 miles, so fuel at four, eight and 12, but the last one was at 15 miles. My first gel was a Huma chocolate. This is the first time I have had a non fruit flavor of this chia seed based gel. I loved it! I wasn't enjoying their fruit flavors, but I am definitely going to get more of the chocolate.


My second gel was Second Surge, which has milk in it. I broke my vegan rule, but I really wanted the protein--and I wanted to see if having 200 mg would make me light headed when combined with protein because the Clif gel with 100 mg of caffeine (with no protein) makes me dangerously light headed. The third fuel was 1 scoop of Hammer Perpetuem mixed with water to the consistency of pancake batter. Excellent. My final gel was a Clif chocolate. I also used Clif Hydrate Lemon-Lime in my water and Vega Sport Energizer right before I ran.


 


I did not experience much light headedness post run, so I think the secret is having protein with the caffeine. Something about how the body metabolizes it. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...