Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ultralight Gear Update

Since my earlier post on the gear I will be taking on my August 2018 fastpack, I have changed my mind on a couple of things. I have found a super light headlamp (which I updated already on the previous post), I've discovered alcohol fueled ultralight stoves, and I've found down jackets lighter than my Woolies 3 top. Between the light and the jacket, I've been able to shave 8 ounces, and I am pretty sure my tiny stove and fuel are going to weigh in less than that! Plus, I figure I'll have to carry around freeze dried food with 2 cups of water in it for hours and hours, waiting for it to hydrate, and the water weight may just be the same as the stove. When it arrives, I'll compare and spill all the details below.

Four days later...

First, the stove, denatured alcohol fuel, and titanium cup. Together inside a bright orange stuff sack (which I think I will use just to keep everything together), they weigh 8 oz. A cup of water weighs 9 oz. I figure if I don't take the stove and rehydrate the food with cold water, I will have to let it soak for half a day, which means I'll be carrying 9 oz around most of the time when I am running. In that case, I may as well carry a stove set up and have hot food!

The titanium cup is made by Toak and the alcohol stove is the Trangia Spirit Burner with Screw Cap. 

The stove fits nicely inside the cup, which I will use to boil water. The handles are collapsible.

Five days later...

Now for the jacket. I decided on the Montbell Plasma 1000 Down Women's Jacket. It's 3.1 ounces! It doesn't have a hood, but I have a 1.3 oz. hood from ZPacks. Wow! The jacket sounds like a cellophane bag, but it's warm and light, just as I wanted. It has minimal features--just a zipper. No pockets, as they would add weight. It comes with a tiny stuff sack, which may be helpful to contain it in my minimalistic pack.



Once I've had a chance to sew my tivy (my bivy-sized tent), I'll pack the pack and weigh everything. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...