Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Fastpack Training Schedule

I love having a goal to work toward; it gives me focus, purpose, and satisfaction. I always start with my goal date and distance, and then work backward. For years, I've relied on a training program from UltraLadies that works well for me. I used their plan to train for all of my 50Ks and plan to use an adaptation of the 50-mile plan for my 80 miler.

I have two training goals in mind. One is to be ready to run from the Cascade Pass Trailhead to Stehekin, which is 34 miles, the first week of August. The second goal, which is a more daunting 78 miles, is to run from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) in mid August.

My husband stands on the saddle at Cascade Pass. Stehekin is downhill to the left.

Before I can start the program, I have to build a solid base. Since I started from running one mile on an Alter-G treadmill last January (recovering from a plantar fascia tear and surgery), I have slowly been building. Over the fall, I finally reached 20 miles for my long run and then backed off. Since then, I have been alternating between a 16-mile run Saturday with 6-8 on Sunday, and a 12-mile run with 6-10 on Sunday. During the week, I ride my mountain bike up a steep route on Mondays, and then run 4 miles Tuesday, 6 miles Wednesday, and 4 miles Thursday. I also do a core workout on Mondays and Fridays. Friday, I don't usually do any running or biking.

I will persist with this schedule until the beginning of March, when I will actually start my training. I'll alternate easy weeks with hard weeks, and gradually lengthen my long runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Hard week:
Monday: core, mountain bike
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 6 miles
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: core, rest
Saturday: 18 miles
Sunday: 8 miles

Easy week:
Monday: core, mountain bike
Tuesday: 4 miles
Wednesday: 6 miles
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday: core, rest
Saturday: 10 miles
Sunday: 6 miles

I will repeat the 18-8 weekend and another easy week, and then increase.The next two hard Saturdays will be 20 miles each with Sundays being 8. Then 22-mile Saturdays and 10-mile Sundays, and so forth until I reach 26-mile Saturdays and 12-mile Sundays, after which time I've penciled in a couple of 50Ks.

When my Saturday run hits 22, I will increase the Wednesday long run to 8, then 10, and finally 12, stepping it up with the longer weekend runs. These will continue to alternate with the light week described above.  Alternating hard weeks with light weeks is going to be important for me to avoid injury.

One of the key components to this training plan is following a long run with another long run the next day, as well as having a longer run mid week. Since I will need to run at least 40 miles the first day of my fastpack, and then nearly another 40 the second day, I will need to be comfortable running when I am tired. Walk breaks, mental toughness, and proper fuel and hydration will be key.

As of last week, I am also running on trails once a week. I would prefer to run on trails every Saturday, but that may not always be possible because it takes longer, both to get to the trailhead and to run the distance. But I need to strengthen my ankles and get used to trails again. Running on a dirt road, which is what all my runs take place on right now, is just not the same. I have some pretty good hills but I need to eventually get to Grand Ridge where hills last for four miles without a flat spot to rest the legs. Come March, every Saturday and at least one run during the week need to be on trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Training for a 75-mile Fastpack in Retrospect

I've had considerable time to process my training for and run on Section J of the PCT this past August. My return to a normal running sc...